Enabling your development
How could ‘Invest to Grow’ funding apply to your project?
The objective of the fund is to stimulate commercial and regeneration property and infrastructure projects within the Basingstoke and Deane Council area where there is a clear benefit to the local employment, regeneration, environmental and economic prospects. Development proposals must align with the council’s economic growth aspirations.
The fund has been created to help developers through the following methods:
- Provision of investment support to aid future local economic growth – specifically targeting real estate developments in the Basingstoke and Deane Council area which require funding of between £1m and £10m.
- Promoting an approach to structuring of finance that causes developers to rethink their current models and make schemes deliverable in the shorter term, whilst taking advantage of other available public funding streams.
- Forward funding of infrastructure where viable multi-owner sites are being blocked by inability to secure infrastructure.
- Lending at competitive rates or providing other intervention measures, such as taking a subordinate risk position, thus bridging gaps in projects caused by project finance costs.
- Taking a balanced view of borrowing risk and covenants in the light of local growth prospects – again enabling real estate development to come forward and attract inward investment.
What will the fund invest in?
- Sectors: commercial, housing and regeneration, for example: office, industrial, manufacturing, logistics, infrastructure, housing, renewables and low carbon schemes.
- Criteria: must contribute to the council’s economic priorities and Local Plan.
- Where: Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council area.
- How: debt or equity on commercial terms.
What do we look for in transactions?
- Scheme viability
- Developer experience and skill
- Planning consent / land assembly
- Ideally, pre-lets / occupier interest
- Target investment size £1 million to £10 million
- Clear exit and opportunity for fast repayment
- Developer equity commitment